Wednesday, March 30, 2011

No-fly zones

Anybody who reads this drivel on any sort of a regular basis will be fully aware by now that I am not the brightest star in the firmament, not the sharpest knife in the drawer. In fact, I could pass as a nitwit in anyone's company. Don't knock it - it's not easy being as simpleminded as me.

So - there are a couple of things that I don't actually understand. Now, forget the rights and wrongs, the moral maze so to speak, just concentrate on the words. Here comes the question:
How does a "No-fly zone" include bombing vehicles on the ground?
Personally, I've never seen a tank fly, but that doesn't mean the Americans haven't got one - they've got
everything else. Who was it who said:
You can't say that civilisation doesn't advance because in every new war they kill you in a different way.
Oh yes, I remember, it was Will Rogers.

So the Yanks may well have flying tanks. The British don't have them, of course - they've barely got any flying airplanes and even THEY will be flogged off at the first opportunity to the highest bidder. All in the name of economic prudence, of course, tinged with a smidgeon of idealism. Aldous Huxley said:
Idealism is the noble toga that political gentlemen drape over their will to power.
Let's face it, a politician is a person who is so patriotic that he is more than happy to lay down your life for his country.

As for causes, E.M. Forster had something to say about causes, and that was:
I hate causes, and if I had to choose between betraying my country and betraying my friend, I hope I should have the guts to betray my country.
So, as can be seen, I don't understand how a "No-fly zone" can include bombing vehicles or people on the ground.

There is also a lot of drivel being spouted about getting rid of a dictator and protecting civilians. I don't see anyone declaring a "No-fly zone" over Zimbabwe or trying to kill Mugabe - but then again, Zimbabwe has no oil.

However, they did declare a "No-fly zone" over Gotham City recently, after an unfortunate incident. Superman was flying over the city on one of his regular patrols when he looked down and saw Wonder Woman sunbathing naked on a roof - totally naked, arms and legs spread wide to garner the most of the sun's benevolence.

"Whey hey!" Superman thought to himself, flew down at the speed of light - WHAM, BAM, THANK YOU MA'AM - and off he flew again at the speed of light.

The Invisible Man stood up, felt his bum and said, "What the fuck was THAT!"

By the way - there is no news this week.

The Voice In The Wilderness

No comments: