Saturday, April 09, 2011

Quiet desperation

Last week I wrote a semi-tongue-in-cheek thing about "No-fly zones". (Come to think about it, I seem to write most things with my tongue planted firmly in the cheek - but leave that to one side for the minute.) So, I wrote this thing about the NFZ's and at the end of it, as is my wont from time to time, I shoved in a fairly puerile and possibly offensive witticism about Gotham City and Superman with a supporting cast of other superheroes. (Boudica said that my jokes get no better, and she is probably right - she usually is about most things.)

However, as soon as Boudica started mocking me about it, I realised that Superman doesn't fly around Gotham City, he flies around Metropolis, and one thing is absolutely certain - there will be some pedant who wants to correct me. Don't bother.

Okay, so I might not be actually very well versed in the details of Marvel, or any other comic, and I apologise for my lack of knowledge. You see, I spent a lot of time wasting my life away reading rubbish by such folk as Chaucer and Marlowe - somehow Marvel commics were missed. Having said that, I have to admit that Asterix the Gaul featured on my reading list - it appealed to my well-established sense of the ridiculous.

I was asked the other day, "Why do you swear?" Well, what can I tell you? I'm a vulgarian, and there are times when a well-placed vulgarity serves the purpose admirably. Boudica grits her teeth sometimes when I swear, her being just one step down from sainthood. (Apart from when somebody gets HER goat of course - then you should hear her!)

So, as anyone will be able to tell, those who know how I operate from reading my weekly drivel, there is no news this week again. Here at the Lazy L very little happens at the best of times. We can't all have exciting lives - my heart wouldn't stand up to the strain of it all.

I seem to spend most of my day lurching from crisis to crisis, and not one of them is worth worrying about really. Oddly enough, I have somehow gained the reputation that I don't care - "Frank! When something happens, you just stand there, look, sniff and then ignore it. I wish I could do that."

Well, that's nothing to do with not caring - that's pure experience. I have learned that running around like a chicken with its head surgically removed serves no purpose other than annoy people. No, when something occurs I sit back, take in all the facts, go away and think about things. Then I ignore it.

Life's far too short to be wasting time on things that don't matter. Let me put it this way: whatever may he bothering us today, however unsurmountable the problem may be at the time, this time next month it will have resolved itself, gone away, and we will have a brand new problem to worry us. So why bother? Everything sorts itself out in the end - time does it.

Henry David Thoreau said:

The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation.
You can't argue with that.

So, I laugh at just about everything - it hurts too much to cry.

The Voice In The Wilderness

No comments: