Thursday, April 25, 2013

A weekend away

Here is the news. I was informed this morning, Thursday 25th April, that it has been cleared for me to go up to Sunderland for the weekend. Travel up tomorrow morning and back on Sunday afternoon. It means that I will either have to do without my Sunday lunch or have it early. It would have made more sense, of course, to let me have another night and travel back on Monday - it's not as though I have anything to hurry back for, me being bone idle and retired to boot.

So, it's me for the train in the morning. I shall take a book to see me through the three-and-a-half-hour journey, but coming back I shall be in possession of my new laptop so I will be able to play on t'internet.

I was looking at my emails this morning, not that there were any, and left the machine on while I made a cup of tea. Imagine my surprise when I came back to find the screen full of messages from dating sites for the more mature punters. Of course, it's nothing more than a scam to get us to cough up our shekels on the off-chance we are silly enough to, but some were almost interesting. I don't beleive any of it, really, and the pictures will be phony.

Anyway, the clan is gathering tomorrow and we will be in a function room or somewhere like that - eating, drinking and being merry, I shouldn't wonder. My brother Jimmy tells me he has bottles of Scotch tucked away. Ha! He likes a jar, so I don't actually see there being much left by the time I get my grubby little mitts on the bottles. Not that I care - I'm going up to see the clan, not to get legless, although there is a danger that getting legless could be a side-effect. I'm not a drinker really - a couple of jars of Guinness and I've had enough - but I DO like my feed. So, while they are keeping the distilleries in work, I'll just be filling my face I expect.

Jimmy and Robert say they are meeting me from the train so that will save me having to carry my own bag. Told you - I'm bone idle really.

No comments: